January 15, 2010

Happy Funeral

Today I went to a funeral for a sweet lady in my ward. Ruth Paskett was her name and she really was someone I am so thankful I knew. Found out during the funeral that she made sure her tithing was paid before she passed on-she had a friend fill out the check and she signed it Friday-she passed away Saturday. I had the privilege of visiting teaching Ruth for about the past 4 months. Each time I'd visit she'd mention how sorry she was that she couldn't come to church anymore or just plain old serve like she used to. Ruth started having health problems in the summer and was in and out of a rehab unit as well as the hospital. I remember one trip to Utah Valley to visit her that was personally touching for me. She had fallen and broke her collar bone. Because she was 90 the doctors said there wasn't much they could do. During that visit she talked to me a little about when she served as Relief Society President and that she thought I was doing a good job. I hung onto those words tightly because especially at that time I was very worried about my ability to do a good job and "live up" to the expectations that come with the calling. I never felt judged by her which was so appreciated by this 33 year old RS President. I often feel like a midget among Giant amazing women. But Ruth loved me despite my weaknesses and it made me love her back even more. Ruth was steadfast and immovable in her testimony of Christ, she was a gem and will be so missed by so many who knew her. Isn't it great that we all get to live and love and learn together? What an amazing adventure we all get to be apart of.

2 comments:

Mike and Lillian Montoya said...

That is really neat J!! I'm glad you were able to get that experience and have someone be a great impact on your RS position. Its amazing how someone can touch your life in such a short time.

shauna/doug said...

Janae, how sweet it is. And how great that you were able to have those interactions with her. It is amazing how you can love people you don't really know and how they can touch your life for good. It is a gospel of love and we are all His children. That is why it happens like it does. You are doing an amazing job as a RS pres. Loves, Mom